The world of the paranormal is a strange and unusual place, with scientists trying to disprove and explain many paranormal events. Here is a collection of 10 amazing paranormal facts that are pretty hard to explain.
1. The modern Ouija Board got its name by asking the board what it should be called. When the board was asked what Ouija meant, it spelled out "Good Luck"
2. At numerous haunted locations, a low-frequency sound has been detected that can cause fear and panic in humans.
3. Most ghostly disturbances are actually residual haunings. These are events that play themselves out over and over again, often without the spirit having any control over it whatsoever.
4. In 1975 Mrs Dilys Cant failed repeatedly to reverse her car into a vacant parking space in a car park in Durham. It felt as if she was hitting a kerb, although nothing was visible. Her daughter and two other motorists were also unable to enter the space, which seemed to be protected by an invisible force field.
5. In 1901 a doctor named Duncan MacDougall tried to prove the existence of the human soul. To do this he measured the weight of terminally ill patients before and at the moment of their death. He had 6 patients, who all experienced weight loss at the moment of death, with the average loss of weight being 21 grams.
6. There is an island near Italy that was the site of wars, a dumping ground for plague victims and an insane asylum. Poveglia Island is considered so dangerously haunted that the Italian government does not allow public access.
7. In 1996 Brian Bethel was making his way to his office in Alibene Texas. In the dimly lit area before the theatres, he was seated in his car in the parking lot, when young boys knocking on his window. The boys were approximately ten years old and as he described them as “a somewhat suave, olive-skinned, curly-headed young man” and “a redheaded, pale-skinned, freckled young man“. The boys wore hooded pullovers.
The first boy explained that the two of them had come to watch a premier of “Mortal Kombat” at the theatre, but had forgotten their money in their mother’s house. They, therefore, requested a ride to their mother’s house to fetch their money and get back to the theatre. All the while as conversation ensued, Bethel was consumed by an irrational fear. The boy tried to convince him with assurances like: “It wouldn’t take long, they were just two little kids, they didn’t have a gun or anything.”
Bethel subconsciously reached out to open his car door, when he suddenly broke his vision of the boy, and came to notice his coal-black eyes, eyes he described as “Soulless orbs like two great swathes of starless night.” Trying to keep his behavior normal, bethel muttered a few excuses, pulled at the gear, and rushed away with his car. As he stared at the rear-view mirror, he found that the children had just vanished, within seconds.
8. On December 11, 2002, two motorists called police to report seeing a car veering off the road and crashing on the A3 near Burpham, Surrey. When the Police arrived at the scene to search for the wreckage they were unable to find any trace of a crash.
That was until an officer stumbled upon a maroon Vauxhall Astra nose down in a ditch, covered in undergrowth. There was one alarmingly irregular detail though, the car had not crashed recently. In fact it had laid undiscovered for five months, confirmed by the discovery of the decomposed body of the vehicles driver. It was suggested in the national press that the sighting of the car leaving the road just the night before could only have been a ghostly replay of the fatal crash earlier in the year.
9. It is a legal requirement in New York for a property seller to disclose if the property a client is inspecting is believed to be haunted by ghosts
10. In December of 2010, a nature photographer checked on a trail camera he'd set up to film wild animals in a reserve in Morgan City, Louisiana. The camera was smashed, but its SIM card survived. When the photographer uploaded the camera's final images he was shocked at what he found. Instead of a wild animal, his camera caught the image of a ghostly, near-transparent humanoid figure.